“The Leaf Man” Fall Lesson
Themes: This lesson explores fall leaves and encourages free exploration in the fall woods and gathering of leaves of different shapes and sizes.
Ages:It is a perfect multi-age lesson and can be enjoyed by children from age 1-10 or perhaps even older.
Location: Meet outside in the fall in a piece of woods that will have diversity of fall leaves and plants
Time: 45 min to 1.5 hours depending on how much free exploration time is provided
1. Start by sitting in a circle and accessing prior knowledge by talking about what the kids already know about trees and leaves.
2. Sing a fall leaf song
3. Read the book Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert
4. Each child then gets a large paper split into 6 squares with the part of the leafman they need to collect on a collection tray:
5. Then the children are free to explore the woods picking out what they want to represent each body part.
6. They are then given glue and a new large paper and they assemble their Leafman.
7. Everyone shares their creative designs together at the end.
If time go for a hike and free play enjoying the Fall woods!
This fun lesson was designed by Corie Scribner and written by Olivia Griset